Thursday, April 5, 2012

Here Have the Password to My Life... I Don' t Think So

It seems like everyone is always talking about Facebook and lately it has been over the controversy of employers requesting the password to their employees or future employees' profiles.  I thought it was important to discuss this topic because many have mentioned it on the course Facebook group.

In my opinion, there is something so wrong with asking for someones Facebook password, almost like if a stranger asked for the keys to your house while you were away.  It is a window into your life, one that only the individual should decide who can see into.  Facebook's chief privacy officer of policy Erin Egan posted an opinion on the matter saying, "If you are a Facebook user, you should never have to share your password".  Asking for someones password has to be violating some sort of law.       

Also, has no one ever heard of professionalism?  People do have lives outside of their work environment.  I understand that employers want their employees to reflect upon the business well but, does this mean people should stop living their lives?  Some of the craziest people I know are some of the hardest working and most dedicated to their work.  I mean everyone has to blow off some steam once in a while.   

I don't even give my password to my friends or family so the only way you are getting my Facebook password is by taking it up with the law.

Would you be willing to give out your password to an employer? 


1 comment: